Improving My Multimedia Object

The Multimedia object I chose to update and improve is my Google Earth Story from Blog post 5. One of the learning theories I decided to use to improve my Google Earth Story is dual coding theory. In my presentation, I have added a small textbox for each individual locations in my Washington D.C. tour where it lists some facts and gives brief description about that place. Sometimes the importance of the place is mentioned and other times facts such as current justices serving the U.S Supreme Court. This text box can also be used by Google Assistance which is an artificial intelligence powered software that can read out text using an automated voice. This is where dual coding theory comes in, viewers who view my story will now be able to view the tour at the same time as listening to the text added in the presentation. Now people can take my Washington D.C. tour with a virtual tour guide. The tour is now more engaging and helps users absorb information by both viewing the locations and listening to the tour. In addition to the dual coding theory, split-attention principle is used where people learn better when pictures and words are temporarily integrated. Spatial Contiguity principle is also used where people learn better when corresponding words and pictures are presented at the same time instead of successively. In my Google Earth Tour, the text and pictures are presented at the same time instead of making successively slides. The text boxes also does not restrict any of the views and don’t ruin any of the immersion of the tour.

I also want to note that Google Assistant doesn’t work if map and location feature is not allowed by your web browser. It should work for all android devices.

D.C. Tour Link